Spiritual Sundays: Take A Leap of Faith


*this post was originally posted on 23/12/17 on my previous blog but I wanted to re-post it as I still think it's relevant today - it will also help to build context when I next share where I am on my journey.

You may ask why I decided to use a short clip of me running into the ocean for this blog post. 

Well, ashamedly, I haven't been in the ocean for over 10 years – call it a fear of mine  and so when I flew to Portugal with Jodie earlier this year, I decided I was going to go for it and run into the ocean.

It was amazing for me, helping me to realise that there are beautiful things to experience on the other side of fear.

This year, I briefly mentioned that I had quit my full-time job at a fashion company to venture into the world of freelance. My main reason for doing this was because I knew that I was called to do something else in this world; there was something bigger out there for me; the feeling was so tangible. And I wasn't going to seek it or achieve it if I stayed in this role.

What I also didn't tell you is that I believe God was making me uncomfortable in this role because He knew I wouldn't go out and seek my calling if I stayed in that job  I was too comfortable. There's a saying that when you begin to feel uncomfortable, sometimes that's God's way of telling you that He's going to move you.

I used to love my job but as things started to change in the company, I began to dislike it, a lot. The hours were tedious, unsociable and unethical. Each member in my team became stressed out and catty towards one another, making the work environment an unpleasant one. I couldn't go out with my friends and I couldn't spend time that I had off writing because I was exhausted from work.

I felt as though I had no life. 

I remember lying in my bed, praying to God to help me because I felt as though I was going to lose myself and my mind should this go on. As I was lying there, I felt in my spirit: 'Freelance.'

Me? Freelance?! Come on. No, that's not it. You have to have lots of experience to be freelance. I don't have as much experience as others. How am I supposed to go freelance? What if I don't get paid a lot? How am I going to pay my bills? What if I become poor? What if people don't like my work?

Doubt, fear and self-reducing thoughts danced in my mind for days.

Going freelance wasn't on my radar, and there was no way I was going to take a risk.

Well, it seemed as though God had other plans.

I did apply for some freelance roles and sign up to agencies, and it seemed as though people were interested. But I wasn't convinced. So I applied for a full-time job at another fashion company and got an interview.

The first round was fine. It was the second round that made me realise that this wasn't where I was supposed to be.

The interviewer was rude, condescending and made me feel as though my experience wasn't up to scratch with what was needed for that job. Well, then, why did you ask me for an interview? But that's another post for another day!

I went home, dejected. 

A few days later, I was on the train making my way back home when someone came and sat in the seat in front of me. I looked up and saw a lady I hadn't seen in about 15 years  completely random!

I knew her daughter from primary school so I asked how her daughter was. 'She's great, she really is. She's so happy. After university, she had a full-time job but she was so depressed. So so depressed, so, she quit. She found a love of fitness, got trained up and is now working for herself for multiple gyms as a fitness instructor. She took a leap of faith and it's worked out wonderfully for her.'

This was my confirmation. One thing you'll soon realise my friends, I don't believe in coincidences; I believe everything is interconnected. Especially when it comes to things like this, things that I have prayed about and asked God for direction in. I felt in my spirit to go freelance but I wasn't convinced  emphasis on ME! I wasn't convinced, even though God had answered my prayer.

So that day, I decided I was going to risk it and go freelance and I haven't regretted that decision since.

I've never been short of work and now have the opportunity of working with a company that only needs me part-time. This is great as it gives me a couple of days during the week to work on my other goals and dreams.

Now, if I hadn't taken that leap of faith and risked leaving my full-time job for the freelance life, I would still be stuck in a job that I loathed and not had the opportunity to work on the goals for my own life.

Being bold is never easy and yes, sometimes it might not work out. But one thing I've realised? I don't want to be lying on my death-bed, looking to the heavens, regretting something I didn't do because of fear. That's when I would truly pass away with a broken heart.

So, my friends, if you're feeling that you're being pushed in a direction where you need to take a leap of faith, I dare you to jump.

0 comments