Gratitude Is Key




If you can trace back the events of your day, what would you say was your favourite part?

Waking up with breath in your lungs?
The hit of warmth from the first hot beverage of the day?
Sitting on your pillow-soft bed that's currently your resting space and office space?
Messaging a friend who you're meeting up with to join a protest?
Strangers who helped bring shopping to your door?
Bare feet on crisp park grass?
A friend that you can be transparent with about how you are genuinely doing?
Keeping cool in the muggy heat, courtesy of an electronic fan?
A TV programme/film that makes you laugh from your very soul?
A small break in your busy schedule to catch your breath?
A big break in your day where you received good news?
A good book for you to get lost in?
An encouraging talk/hug/or kiss from a loved one?

They're all beautiful and each one, to you, may hold more significance than the other, but they are something to be grateful for.

Being grateful is one of the very first steps to experiencing joy in this life; nothing is promised to us. Absolutely nothing; this very day, this very hour, this very minute, this very second  none of it is promised to us and yet, here we are, breathing in air. Here you are, reading my words. Here I am, typing this post, knowing full well things could be very different.

Knowing this makes me wake up every morning and fall asleep every night with gratitude because everything that had happened during the day was a gift; my heart sending blood to my brain to wake me up  I am grateful. Seeing my little brother laugh with abandon when our other brother came to playfully tease him  I am grateful. Stepping outside and being refreshed by Wind, Mother Earth's breath  I am grateful. One of my favourite beings popping by with banana bread she'd baked I am grateful. Staring at the mousy-grey clouds overtake one another in a race to get to the other side of the horizon first  I am grateful. Smelling wafts of homemade chips cooking in the oven  I am grateful. Watching comedy movies with my sister, my favourite being, while eating popcorn and cake with the night sky as our background  I am grateful. Hugging my parents goodnight  I am grateful.

None of these things were ever promised to me and yet, I was able to experience them. How could I not be grateful?

One of my favourite bodies in this universe is the Moon. I am absolutely enamoured with the Moon and am always drawn and captivated by her; the Moon fascinates me to no end and I could stare at her for hours without flinching. My family know this as they've bought me books on the Moon and always call for me to look outside when the Moon is out, especially a New Moon (although I already know as I have a Moon app on my phone that tracks the lunar calendar). So when a day has passed and the evening takes hold, I am so grateful because it means I have another opportunity to stare at God's Moon and dream, and soak in her hazy light that glows.

When you find one thing, just the one thing, to be grateful for in the morning, afternoon and/or night, you realise just how blessed you are, and joy begins to seep in.

I would suggest, if you can, getting a gratitude journal. Writing down things you are grateful for each day is a beautiful way of reminding us not to take anything in this life for granted and will also transform your perspective of life.


0 comments